Tuesday, February 19, 2013

STUDENT GROAN AS FREE SCHOOL BUSES DISAPPER IN ENUGU


School children in the city of Enugu who had enjoyed free transport services in the State have lamented over the sudden disappearance of the free buses introduced last year by the state government for their comfort.
The state government had in January last year announced the introduction of free transport services for primary school pupils and secondary school students in the state.
The State Commissioner for Information, Mr. Chuks Ugwoke, who disclosed this then, said the service would be provided by the government owned Coal City shuttle buses.
Ugwoke said that the services would operate in all parts of the state between 6:30am and 8am to 3pm daily. He however added that the buses will only pick up students in school uniform.
The commissioner explained that government’s decision in the said direction was in line with the administration of Governor Chime’s resolve to improve on the quality of education and make commuting for students easier, convenient and most affordable.
However, DailyPost enquiry showed that none of the Luxurious buses earmarked for the purpose was still rendering such service to the students.
It was gathered that the buses, which rendered skeletal services between February and March last year, were later withdrawn completely.
Some of the students interviewed expressed disappointment over the development, calling on the state government to fulfil the promise it made to them.
“We used to see the bus once in a while last year but after sometimes, they disappeared. Even when they used to come, they were not enough at all, but something was better than nothing.
“We are begging the government to fulfil their promise by bringing those buses back. We shall be grateful if they do that”, one of the students said.
For another student, Miss Uju Okoro, “the government shouldn’t have made this promise to us at all if they were not ready to fulfill it. Some of us walk very long distance every day before we get to our house, so, we saw those free buses as a relief, but the buses did not operate for more than three months. It is so bad of the government”.
Effort made to obtain comments from government failed as the State Commissioner for education, Dr. Simon Ortuanya did not reply to the text message sent to his mobile phone.
Via Dailypost

No comments:

Post a Comment